Monday, January 20, 2014

January 20: Da Nang -> Hue -> ?

The fever broke, my gut settled, and it was time to leave Da Nang for Hue.

Pretty much all I got to see of Da Nang from the bedroom window.

The host of the B&B was gracious enough to make me congee for breakfast, basically a hot rice soup. It was the perfect thing to have in my stomach after almost 24 hours of having the exact opposite in my stomach - nothing.


I think I've identified the sickness from this item: unrefrigerated cheese from the hotel in Saigon that I had for breakfast on the train the day before. I'll never be sure, but I was glad to toss it.


The most amazing, kind and gracious hosts ever.


Quite honestly, since the weather was rainy and overcast, and the temperatures rather cool (high 60's), getting sick in Da Nang wasn't the worst thing ever. There isn't much to do here but get a suit made or to go the beach. It's just a city.


Back to the train station for a short ride to Hue. Not sure what it is about old Chinese built trains angled towards the sky, but this is the second station to have one.


The train!


Sadly, for one of the most scenic parts of the Reunification Train line, I was stuck on the top bunk, unable to really see out the windows.


The rail line runs a very circuitous, bendy route between Da Nang and Hue. It's no more than 100 km, but it really does take forever.





Once again, the train was late, so that gave a very short amount of time to wander around the Imperial City of Hue. For me, it was important as the setting for The Cat from Hue, one of my favorite books. I also discovered that second half of the movie Full Metal Jacket takes place during the Battle of Hue in 1968.


Crossing the Perfume River.


See that tiny flag in the distance? Yeah, that's where the Imperial City gates are. Quite a walk when you're not entirely feeling yourself.


Finally, the outer walls of the Imperial City appeared in the fog.


Over this one lane bridge.


Now the walls of the Citadel, the inner sanctum of the Imperial City.


Yup, that's the flag. A good 20 minute walk.



There was literally 20 minutes to walk around the Citadel, and it was 105,000 VND (about $5USD) but I had come this far...









A little scruffy, but all in all feeling 95% better.


Mad rush back to Ga Hue for a 4:28 train. Guess what time it arrived?


6:47.


Off to Hanoi on an overnight train. Not much to really see/report on this leg, as it was dark for almost the entire journey. One benefit of the train being so late is that the arrival time in Hanoi was pushed back - closer to 6AM than 4AM. Which you might imagine is a good thing.