Saturday, January 11, 2014

January 11: Hong Kong


 I was greeted on Saturday morning with beautiful weather:


Today was going to be dim-sum for lunch with the family I was staying with. Dim-sum is basically a smorgasbord of food brought out to you continuously. Last time I was in Hong Kong and went to dim-sum, I vowed to at least TRY everything that was brought out, and I did. (I even had my epi-pen ready in case I ended up eating shellfish, and wouldn't you know it, I'm actually not allergic to shellfish anymore!) This year, I said the same thing - eat, or at least try, everything.


Here are a few more of the dishes that I ate:







Full of dim-sum, I wandered around the local street markets in the Western District.


I ended up stopping at a shop that sold everything in bulk, from candy to dried fish to nuts...quite an amazing place.



 I needed to find a restroom, and there appeared to be a rather large park very close by, right on the water.


Walking along the promenade next to Victoria Harbor lead to Dr. Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park. The Park is dedicated to Sun Yat Sen and his important role in gaining Chinese independence.






A tram ride back through the Western District was up next:


Past the Western Market, the oldest existing market building in Hong Kong:


And back to the apartment. I was starting to not feel all that great, possibly jet lag combined with the change in diet and who knows what airborne sicknesses that on the airplane and I wanted a nap. There was a dinner party at the apartment that I was invited to that night, so I did in fact take a wonderful nap. I would pay for this later when I tried to sleep that night (and those of you that got random messages from me at 3PM your time meant that yes, I was awake at 4AM my time).


Two little touches of home at this dinner party - I brought a bottle of wine from Red Newt Winery in the Finger Lakes as a thank you gift, which every one enjoyed.

 
And last, but not least, Vision glass cooking dishes, by Corning!