Friday, January 10, 2014

January 10: Hong Kong

Today was an easy day, with only two tasks to accomplish: a Visa for Vietnam and a SIM card for my phone. Amazingly enough, both were completed!



After much research, it looked like I might not be able to get a SIM card for use in HK due to Verizon's network capabilities, so I was somewhat disappointed. There is plenty of free wifi in HK, but sometimes it is very slow and laggy, so I had hoped that with an iPhone 5 and SIM card slot, I could actually get on a network there.

Most importantly was the Vietnam Visa, however. A bus ride down to Wan Chai proper and a short walk got me to the Vietnamese consulate, where amazingly enough I was in and out in fifteen minutes. I had to leave my passport there, but considering the alterantive (mailing my passport to Washington DC, and waiting for it to come back) and the price (half of what it was going to be in the US), it was a pretty sweet deal. It should be ready by Wednesday of next week, which is cutting it a bit close. Not much can be done about that though.

Then it was off to several cell phone stores, one of which actually tried to put a SIM card in my phone, and what do you know, it worked! Something about having a fully functioning cell phone in a foreign country is quite amazing. Cell phone, data, the whole nine yards!



A bite to eat at what was basically a HK version of Seven Stars (complete with Western hipsters and yuppies) helped with my appetite, although my body really had no idea WHAT time it was.

One of the original Wan Chai pawn shops, still standing.

Jet lag started to set in, so it was back to the apartment for rest, and to finally get caught up on the blog. Tomorrow it is dim sum and perhaps karaoke!