Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Febraruy 4: Hong Kong

Because it was Chinese New Year, there were literally thousands of mainlander Chinese in Hong Kong for the holiday. This meant that most of the popular tourist attractions were overwhelmed with people, including Victoria Peak, a beautiful spot to see Hong Kong from up high. I had intended to go yesterday, and even went so far as to get in line for the bus, but it was just too many people. So I postponed for my last full day in Hong Kong, and of course, it was overcast for the day. Bah!

The best way to get to The Peak is by the cable car tram. This is the track, and one of the stops along the way.

Hey there!


Pictures to attempt to show just how steep it is.



The cable car itself.


View of Hong Kong, complete with FOG.


Can't even see the less than half a mile away.



View from a Pacific Coffee Company shop at the top of the peak. Great place to sit and write postcards...


Going back down, you can see the huge crowds.



This really helps to demonstrate the angle.


From the drivers angle, it looks like we're about to plunge over a roller-coaster like precipice. And it is very steep.


Ones goes up as the other goes down, and they meet and "cross over" at this junction.



Very convenient to have a stop right on MacDonald road, near the apartment I was staying at.


POP TOP!


Later that day I went back down to Wan Chai to buy some last minute gifts, and I road the tram back. Yeah, it's a bit low for me on both the top and the bottom levels...I can't stand up straight!