Tuesday, September 2, 2014

September 2nd: Lassen, CA > Reno, NV

Two AM rolled around a lot faster than possible...since everything was pretty much packed in the van and ready to go, all we had to do was go down and take a quick wake-up shower, and then hit the road. IT felt like a video-game, "Dodge the Dear"...


Reno came into sight around 5 AM, which meant we were cutting it very close. We only saw 7 deer, and luckily none of them ventured into our path.


So long Anna, have a safe flight!


After dropping Anna off at the airport, I was exhausted. Since there was a nice comfy place to sleep in the back, and it was still dark and cool, I ventured to a Walmart parking lot and slept for a few hours. I then ventured to downtown.


I found a decent little coffee shop with a somewhat over-priced egg sandwich, but they had a bathroom and free wifi, so I couldn't really complain.


Afterwards, I wanted to head to one of my favorite places in Nevada: the National Automobile Museum. I was just there a year ago, but since I had John and his family in tow, I didn't get to spend as much time as I liked wandering around.


Formed from the remnants of the Harrah Automobile collection a few decades ago (Harrah had 1,400 cars at one point!) the National Automobile Museum is heavy on pre-war cars, which aren't my favorites but it is wonderful to see a lot of automobiles that don't get much attention these days.


Ford-built amphibious Jeep:


Stunning aqua-colored Cord 812.


After spending a few hours at the museum, I headed down to Gardnerville to spend the afternoon/evening with John and his family, and await the arrival of Steph, co-pilot for the second leg of the trip. Steph is currently venturing around the country on her 250cc scooter. As of the 2nd, she had logged 14,000 miles.


The family went "scooting", so I felt it was only fair to pose with a real scooter.


Today was an easy day, resting up for way came ahead. Sunset over the Sierra Nevada Mountains from John's driveway is always a sight to behold.


And of course there is always time for some roleplaying games!


Tomorrow begins the second part of the trip: south to Yosemite, the Giant Sequoias and Death Valley!